The current situation
The exam boards have told us that grades will be:
- Based on School Assessed Grade we have been asked to submit to them in June
- Grades will be based on what students have been taught, not what they’ve missed
- Checked carefully by them and quality assured through the collection of samples of work
- Given earlier this year with results day the week beginning August 9th to allow for queries and appeals
We are still awaiting the final information from the exam boards with some of the finer details currently missing. However we are confident that we can proceed and share with you our plans.
How will we arrive at the School assessed grade?
We will make an evidence-based judgement of the grade each student is performing at; this will be based on what students have been taught, not what they’ve missed. We will put together a learning portfolio for each student for each of their subjects which will consist of:
- Practical work where applicable
- Coursework where appropriate
- Classwork and DPR assignments to and from this point
- Any existing exam practice and AFA grade completed up to this point
- Exam practice and in class exam response completed from this point
- At least one centre exam to be completed in the HHS summer centre exam series in May 2021
No grade will be given by a teacher alone, there will be a school process of checking and monitoring these portfolios. Each one will be checked by subject and school leadership.
How will we support students during this time?
- Support from dedicated form tutors
- A year 11 team has been put in place, led by My Corey
- One to one tutoring programme, led by Mr Matthews
- Place2Be onsite drop in counselling
- Weekly assemblies and video briefings from Headteacher
|9th March 2021||Students return to class and begin the process of working toward their Learning Portfolio as above completing study and evidence|
|3-5-2021||Practical assessment week all students in school all the time.|
|10-5-2021||Centre exams; students attend for exams only|
|24-5-2021||Work experience week: some students will be in school, some at home|
|7-6-2021||Preparing for further study week: students will attend lectures, seminars|
|11-6-2021||Leavers assembly (we hope in school but possibly online!)|
We have taken the very difficult decision to not move forward with planning a prom at present. With restrictions possibly lifting on June 21st this does not leave sufficient time to organise this. However we continue to monitor this and if we can put something in place, we will.
We know you will have many questions and I completely understand you may have concerns about this process and the ramifications for your children. We will be running an online Q and A session in the next week to allow you to get clarification on anything you are unsure of.
We will keep you updated with any changes or alterations to dates or processes and remind you of each stage of the process as we go. I am optimistic and confident that our amazing faculty teams, led by Ms Bower, will do this process well. To compliment this work our brilliant pastoral team, led by Mr Levis will provide students with the guidance and emotional support they need.
If you have any immediate questions or queries or wish to provide feedback please do not hesitate to contact us through the email@example.com email address.