On January the 5th 2021 the Government announced a second lock down full national lockdown. Heartlands High School will be closed to most students until at least February half term. Mrs Roberts will write to you weekly to outline the news from the week and the DPR super stars of the week
There is advice here for remote learning:
How to study at home – full school closure Jan 2021
Our principles for remote learning:
- To ensure equal and ongoing access to all of the curriculum areas
- To ensure students remain connected to school
- To ensure students are set appropriate work to maintain steady progress
- To care for and support families whilst at home
Learning will work in three ways:
1. Remote learning
Your teachers will set you your work for the week on the DPR. You need to check carefully the instructions and complete the tasks set. You will have one week to complete all the work by 9am on the following week on the same day. Work will be set in the following way:
- Monday; Year 11 and year 7
- Tuesday: Year 10 and 8
- Wednesday: Year 9
2. Live online sessions
There will also be some live sessions from your teachers at the time of your timetabled lessons. You will be invited to all your sessions through your google calendar. There is a help sheet on how to do this here: How to use Google calendar
It is essential you attend these sessions
3. Tutor sessions
Your tutors will be leading tutor sessions twice a week. You will be invited to these via google calendar (see above)
There will also be assemblies and opportunities to stretch yourself; students should check your emails EVERY day!
If students cannot access the work please email your tutor and we will do our best to help.
Tutors and Heads of Year will be giving out merits so please share any work students are especially proud of or photos of any new skills or projects you undertake. There will be lots of prizes and merits for creativity and completing all work.
How can parents help?
Support them to complete the 20–30 minutes reading by reminding them as you would with remote learning
Ask your child to show you what they are reading and ask them questions about it
- Listen to your child read. It is not essential that you sit with them (though this is nice) it could be whilst you doing things around the house
- Watch a film based on your favourite book with your child and discuss how it is different
- Encourage students to quiz on Beyond Words once they have finished a book and to tell their tutor about it during their zoom session.